Setting up the runways and approaches
Once the supply of crushed stone was properly
organised, the next steps were to actually pave the runways,
to set the runway lighting and to install the approach lights and
radio beams that would guide the airplanes
as they landed and departed. While of course all this was done as
shown below are few photos related the "runway" phase of the
construction of "the Crossroads of the World".
The basic operation was to deliver
- crushed stone from Hall's Quarry by train,
- do any other required on-site crushing,
- obtain ashphalt deliverd in ralway tank cars from the COLAS plant in
- transfer this liquid asphalt by truck to on-site mixers and
- bring this asphalt mix to the spreaders.
Other heavy equipment such as rollers were on hand to complete the job.