Bob's Gander History -
Table of contents
Trepassey International Airport
2. The Hall-Vatcher report
3. Airport Construction Photos
4. Pre-war infight refuelling
5. Two big black bears
6. Cutting edge illumination
7. Denver Post article about "Hatties Camp"
8. The first night flying in Gander
9. The first non-professionnal pilots in Gander- the amazing Wolfs
10. Foss Ave and the chap for whom it was named
12. An extremely interesting WWII Gander « Parcel Card »
13. Documents related to the Officer commanding Ferry Command
14. Eyes and Ears of the Air - How You fly Safely Through Cloud
15. So what was a Hudson bomber really like?
16. The Hell's Angels Gander Connection
17. Sparklub RAFTC Signal section
18. Gander 1956 - still a reference for spark plug ads
19. The Americans are coming - 1387 AAF Base Unit
20. Stars, Stripes, and Sacrifice - Remembering America’s War Dead
21. Don't forget the civilian pilots – Canadian Pacific involvement
22. RCAF Gander Christmas cards
23. From wartime RCAF Theatre to the civilian “Globe"
24. Gander Postal System during the War
25. Specialists with bugs and keys - the Morse code experts
- Rolland Masse's story with VOAC
- Gloria (Durham) Lindsay's story RAFFC / RAFTC
- Hazel (Bjornstad) Fausak's story RAFFC / RAFTC
26. B-17s go to war - the Lakanuki story
27. Henry Miles Carscallen - An RCAF officer in Gander
28. Rare Gander Related Patch
29 Rare envelope from "Newfoundland Airport"
30. Wartime Exploits of Squadron Leader N.E. “Molly” Small
31. Trans-Atlantic ferry ops - Women Pilots?
32. Playing in the snow in wartime Gander
33. "Mosla" and "Benzin" - Russian PBN flying boats in Gander
34. First Gander Tower, Administration Building
35. Flying Office Adrian Ralph Taylor - From Gander to Normandy
36. Joe Gilmore :The only civilian in the Gander's Commonwealth Cemetery
37. Such were the times
38. A chap who loved guns - the highest-ranking machine-gunner in the
North Atlantic Squadron
39. Mr Goodyear would like to cut some wood
40. G/C Anderson spends Christmas with his son in the woods - A Christmas rescue!
41. The Star Theatre
42. A Key to Gander history
43. Early post-war history - a Collier's article
44. Gander - The World’s Richest Airport
45. First Gander civilians in an airplane accident
46. From unifrom to suit: Gander becomes "civilized"
47. The "first" new terminal - the official openingmystery.pdf
48. The Queen's "visit"1953
49. Postcards of the Gander terminal 40s and 50s
50. So who remembers the "Nobbly Boot"?
51. Pan American first flights outbound from Gander
52. Pan American first flights inbound to Gander
53. American Airlines first flights to and from Gander
54. Old Gander Airport in the movies
55. Mother Goose goes to Gander - Shell sends books
56. Gander boarding pass - Pan American
57. Walrus spotted on the shores of Gander Lake
58. BOAC employee gives Gander a five-month trial!
59. September 911 in Gander - 1952
60. Alaskan aircraft in Gander - how to get things wrong!
61. Ground Controlled Approach in early Gander -
A very serious game of hide-and-go-seek;
- The general organization
- The operations, the equipment, the people
62. Maureen O’Hara and the Gander Connection
64. Shell Oil in old Gander
65. TCA in early Gander - Operations and First Day Covers .
66. Airplane accidents and incidents in pre-1960's Gander
67. Sargeant Gander - First Day Cover
68. Captain Douglas Cowan Fraser – aviation pioneer
69. Easter Provincial Airways – The missing part of the story
70. Civilian weather operations in Gander : from art to science
71. A non-stop trans-Atlantic passenger flight in 1947? Unbelievable, but true
72. A Very Rare USAAF Gander Envelope
73. The different sectors of “Old Gander"
74. A Gander article on the SAS Scandinavian Traveler
75. The American 8th Weather Squadron in Gander
76. Gander in 1946
77. When Gander was news - “The Aeroplane “ magazine 1949
78. Crossroads of the World - Was it really the jets that killed Gander?
79. Who refuelled which airplanes in “Old Gander” ?
80. Imperal-Esso in old Gander
81. Another choice than a new terminal?
82. Bombers across
83. Gander terminal 1953
84. An unremarkable pick-up truck - but so very important to ramp operations in Old Gander
85. The Royal Bank of Canada in Gander
86. Wartime cartoons
87. A Helping Hand from the RAF Welfare Fund
88. Rare souvenir - US Air Corps Newfoundland Airport
89. An unusual WWll Gander token
90. A plane load of brass
91. V-mail from Gander - and it wasn't voice mail!
92. A book report - 9/11 story for the younger set
93. Recycling in "Old Gander"
94. New York Times 1939-11-30
95. Hamilton Spectator 1940-04-30
96. Gander's Ground Observer Corps
97. EC-121 accident in Gander - Lots of lucky people
98. Construction in Gander over the years
99. When an aircraft near Nfld ran into trouble, it headed for the safety of the runways of Gander Airport - or did it?
100. Censorship in Gander - WW2
101. The defense of Gander in World War 2
102. By Accident or Design? A Case of Suspected Sabotage at Gander
103. A rare visit to Gander – Swedish Air Lines
104. Keeping Gander clean - the old laundry and dry-cleaners
105. When the RCAF took over Gander - what happened to the civilians?
106. A race from Gander to New York!
107. Link trainers in Gander in World War Two
108. When Lady Luck Smiles: Gander's First Crash - Hudson T9446
109. Gander's last wartime crash
110. Cloth souvenirs of old Gander
111. The transition from war to peace 1945
112. A "Tourist Guide" to pre-Confederation Gander
113. Trans World Airways aids the Atlantic ferry effort
114. Seaboard and Western "Geneva Airtrader" goes off the runway
115. An Air France Constellation runs off a Gander runway
116. The history of Pan American World Airways in Gander
117. American commanding officers in Gander
118. "Yank" Magazine - Gander, Newfoundland
119. Gander approach map
120. When times were simpler in "Old Gander"
121. An unsung Gander hero - Abner C Knee
122. Mechanical brain guides a plane across the Atlantic
123. A funny RAF "Novo" pump
124. An ode to Fleet Dtreet
125. Gander's Airport Club
126. Gander "First Day Cover" : Destroyers for Bases
128. Another Gander hero - from controlling airplanes to controlling lunar modules
129. On the Precipice of Change: Gander in May 1940
!30. The five hospitals in Old Gander
131. Two interesting bombers in Gander
132. Two long-forgotten Gander vehicles
133. DOT !952, Gander
134. DOT !953, Gander
135. DOT !954, Gander
136. Who was really Gander's first post-war airport manager?
137. Electrical System in old Gander
138. USAAF Gander parcel sticker
139. Twin Ponds
140. A plane-seat mystery
141. Gander school kids knew how to save!
142. A B-17 Flying Fortress revisits Gander
143. The Opening of Gander’s Power House
144. Christmas in Old Gander
145. Farming in old Gander
146. The Gander refuelling puzzle
147. The best place for flying boats - Gander Lake or Botwood?
148. The American Post Exchange in old Gander
149. If there was no railway, there'd be no Gander!
150. Rare Airline photo
151. Hudson ad - Information, propaganda or advertising?
152. Saturday Evening Post article - Gander
153. 1 Overseas Ferry Unit
154. An interesting WWll envelope
155. Checking the guard posts a wintery wartime day in Gander
156. The Banting crash - possible causes
157. Gander's oldest standing buildings
158. Taking care of "Old Gander's" transients
159. "Blackface" in Gander, World War two
160. Unusual Trans Canada Air Lines envelopes
161. Shell personnel in the mid 1950s
162. Ladies fashion in Gander 1946
163. Making bread in "Old Gander"
164. RAF Signals staff : the Newfs and the others
165. The First Commercial Jet to land in Gander
166. Avenger torpedo bombers in Gander
167. Black Watch Daily Diary, Gander, 1940
168. Gander's Women' Patriotic Association
169. The history of TWA (Trans World Airlines) in Gander Newfoundland
170. Local transportation in "Old Gander"
171. Allied Aviation in "Old Gander"
!72. The Midnight Meal Mystery
173. Wartime Gander Lake
174. The many names of Gander Newfoundland
175. Rinks in Old Gander
176. Paul Bunyan in Gander
177. American Overseas Airlines in Gander
178. Gander 1940: Technical details
179. Wonderful wartime artifact
177. Gander 1941 (Reader's Digest)
178. Welcome to Gander - 1944
179. One of Canada's best pilots flies in Gander
180. Gander artile 1938
Trans World Airways
aids the Atlantic ferry effort